I’ve just uploaded GearHead2 v0.630 to GitHub. This completes the move away from the old repository, and sets the baseline for future development. It’s not a very exciting release, but it does fix some longstanding bugs and add a couple of interface improvements. Check below the fold for the full list of changes.
- Fixed shopkeepers never changing wares bug (services.pp)
- Added more item sprites by Francisco Munoz
- Added Names_Above_Heads to options menu (pcaction.pp)
- Added updated ColorMenu from GH1 (colormenu.pp)
- Game automatically saved upon quit (pcaction.pp)
- Renamed executable to gearhead2 (gearhead2.pas)
- Moved save files, config file to config folder (user folder on Windows)
- Added updated InfoBox from GH1 (sdlgfx.pp)
- Title screen menu set to RPMNoCancel in SDL (gharena.pas)
- Fixed AutoTraining overspending bug (pcaction.pp)
- Fixed possible crash from ending a story inside a conversation (arenascript.pp)
- All usable skills, talents known by lancemates now in skill menu (pcaction.pp)
- Added InfoTier stat for modules (ghmodule.pp,sdlinfo.pp,coninfo.pp)
- Character limbs resized as Body stat changes (Michael Deutschmann patch)
- Can transfer items in combat if nearby (Michael Deutschmann patch)
- New portrait loaded if old portrait not found (sdlinfo.pp)
- Fixed problem with character sprites on Linux (sdlmap.pp)
- 3D interface, cute interface abandoned
- Modified armor penetration algorithm (action.pp)
- Pilot cannot eject if marked as integral (action.pp, for debugging)
- Removed +P, +C core story descriptors
- Added Plot xxran descriptor for factions (narration.pp)
- Removed the partner, comp scene, love interest, hanging NPC from core story
My gearhead game isn’t creating a config file, is there something I’m doing wrong?
The config file isn’t created in the game folder anymore; it should be in “[home]/.config/gearhead2” on Linux or “[home]/gearhead2” on Windows.
The hunt for the blue pixels:
I’m just reviewing my item images trying to find any almost blue but not really blue pixels that break the transparency effect.
The book, the crystal skull and the dragon heart has them. Anybody cares to point me any other one with issues.
I am so glad I got the inspiration to check in GH like I had so many times over the past years. I’d pretty much come to the conclusion you’d abandoned it over real life duties. I gotta say, GH1 was undoubtedly my favorite roguelike ever (until I found Elona+, haha… I hope you don’t mind second place).
I was really hoping GH2 would get as refined as the first (and holy crap, I never imagined I’d see an update to THAT!). Glad to see you’re going to stick to the 2D graphics, narrowing-down your focus, etc. All great ideas. Fixing that static store inventory, great… hmm… I remember a couple years back that the longer games went on, the more game-crashing bugs you’d encounter. Plus, personal-level combat was hopeless compared to mecha combat, and that was one of my favorite parts in GH1: the way the world felt pretty seamless being in the mecha for one mission, then hopping out and doing another on foot; you get to encounter the world on the huge robot scale as well as the diminutive fleshling scale.
There are *so many* sorts of brilliant missions that can be made on foot that really form the great narrative and immersion.
I think I might boot the game up again and see how it goes.
Btw… I don’t know if it’s something you’d actually want to do, if you like the thought or hate it… but I’m sure you know, a lot of old roguelikes have been moving onto Steam, ever since roguelites became fairly popular. Transcendence made it up there, I think I noticed ADOM, TOME…
I don’t know how it works, but could that be worthwhile?
Anyway, thanks for continuing this. Always loved the games (even DMU, heh).
Pity the isometric view is gone now since my laptop doesn’t have numpad. But the game now look way nicer than before. I guess I will back to play this game again
Oh man, I thought Gearhead was dead! I’m glad to see you back at it.
This is real cool!
Btw. is there a way to change the GH2 resolution?
I have a real big monitor and I want to put lots of GH2 maps stuff on it.
Not yet, but that’s the first thing I need to start working on now that I’m back home.
Also would be nice to have a Mac OSX version 😀
I’m a dev too, I could help out but this FreePascal thing seems weird to me.
I usually do Python, PHP, JS, etc.
I wonder if we can move this to something real cool and cross-platform (even on mobile). Something like meteorjs looks good. (https://www.meteor.com/)
I want to do a new GearHead in Python, but have been trying to get the first two games in the series cleaned up a bit first.
That sounds great! Python Kivy looks real cool. I think you can get some money making GH/2 a mobile app or something. Maybe even make it multiplayer so people can compare their mechas with others.
The money can be spent on the graphics. I mean, the tiles look cool but there are lots of stuff with no graphics on them and alot are shared graphics. Also, it seems the media, the celebrities, etc. all have the same sprite. A guy in short shorts which looks real cool and retro.
I finally got around to making a package of GearHead2 for the AUR.
Why was the love interest removed? Was that part buggy or unfinished? Did it upset the story flow or game balance? Is there a possibility that it will get added back at a later date? Many think of GearHead as having an anime style. And the vast majority of anime has some sort of love interest for the main character.