I’ve just uploaded a new release of GearHead-1 to Github. You can download compiled versions for Windows and Linux, as well as the source code, from here. Let me know if you have any trouble… I haven’t done this in ages and just hope I packed everything right.
Version 1.200 compiles with the latest release of Free Pascal. It now uses the FPC SDL units, so you no longer need to download JEDI SDL separately. Linux uses should have SDL 1.2, plus the associated SDL_ttf and SDL_image packages, installed. For Windows users, all the needed dlls are included in the precompiled zip.
Try it out and let me know what you think. The complete list of changes is beneath the fold.
1.200 February 27 2016
– Refactored “ifNPC[trait]” macros, fixing some plot emails (aslmacro.txt)
– Mauna, Tokto no longer hidden in SDL mode (TS_MAP_World.txt)
– Imported shuttle service from GH2 (services.pp)
– Victory saves win file to config folder (arenascript.pp)
– Trying to fix keypad doesn’t work without numlock, needs testing (ui4gh.pp)
– Removed redundant SelectMecha, FirstAid commands (ui4gh.pp,pcaction.pp)
– PCs now start with random colors (randchar.pp)
– Fixed SDL mode character generator 2nd usage crash (randchar.pp)
– Added restaurant to Mauna (ADV_FederatedTerritories.txt)
– Can sell mecha, mecha inventory at mechanic shops too (services.pp)
– Added thin doors (sdlmap.pp)
– Added PLOT_SickMission.txt
– Added BondWith, ifGExists ASL commands (arenascript.pp)
– All usable skills known by lancemates added to skills menu (pcaction.pp)
– Status effects won’t occur during quick time (arenacfe.pp)
– Added LoseRenown ASL command from GH2 (arenascript.pp)
– Added sprites for mushroom patch, video game, enemy building (STCdefault.txt)
– Incorporated encumberance display patch
– Incorporated selecttarget_nil_weapon and longint_movement patches
– Title screen picks mecha colors from standard list (sdlmap.pp)
– Fixed bug with character sprites on Linux (sdlmap.pp)
– Added Evan, Aspis, Onawa, and Carter (ADV_FederatedTerritories.txt)
– Configuration saved on exit (ui4gh.pp)
– Save files, config file now stored in configuration folder (gears.pp)
– Changed application name to gharena (gharena.pas)
– Automatically saves game when player quits (pcaction.pp)
– Imported colormenu, cosplay programs from GH2 (colormenu.pp,cosplay.pas)
– Imported portraits, portrait selector from GH2 (sdlinfo.pp)
– NPCs will now get random skin, hair colors (sdlmap.pp)
– Added random color picker (sdlgfx.pp)
– FindNAtt, FindSAtt should be faster, thanks to Buffered (gears.pp)
– Stunt Driving should now work properly (effects.pp)
– Fixed Renown/Morale bugs (ability.pp)
– Added error check to MechaDescription (ability.pp)
– Storage module ammo explosions don’t cause overkill (action.pp)
– Arachnoids can jump like zoanoids (movement.pp)
– Added default sprite for hoverfighters (sdlmap.pp)
– Enemies should no longer attack after PC quits map (arenaplay.pp)
– Heavy Lifting Skeletal Frame should now work (gearutil.pp)
– Fixed crash when switching weapons (menugear.pp)
Awesome to have more updates on this gem of a game. I’ve downloaded the new version (sdl; actually had to compile from source for this 32-bit Linux OS of mine) but have only played it a little so far. I did find a couple of minor bugs/issues, though (nothing game-breaking):
* Right before the main menu is loaded, the game flashes “GearHead Arena v1.100” on the screen even though this is now version 1.200
* Save files from the old 1.100 are able to load if copied to the right place (since this version saves to a different folder now), but character portraits are blank (probably due to the newly-imported portraits and portrait selector from GH2). Not sure if anything can be done about this. You can see the difference here: http://imgur.com/a/kb7Eu
* Oops, forgot about that. It has been fixed to 1.200 though only time will tell if I’ll remember to change it for the next release too.
* The problem there is that the portraits have been renamed. To solve this, open the save file in a text editor and search for SLD_PORTRAIT. For the PC and anyone whose portrait you actually care about, find the new portrait name in the Images folder and record the correct filename in the save file. For anyone you don’t care about, just delete the “SDL_PORTRAIT
” line and they’ll be assigned a new portrait the next time they appear in-game. I should probably add a check that will delete the SDL_PORTRAIT attribute if the portrait cannot be loaded.
Ah, thank you. After reading your reply, I created a Linux bash script to replace the old portrait names in save files with the new ones. It deletes the SDL_PORTRAIT line entirely if the old picture just doesn’t exist in the new version. I may have missed one or two of those images, but it shouldn’t cause any major problems if I have. Anyways, I have posted the script on pastebin , if anyone is interested.
I also forgot to mention in my other comment, but the ‘Browse Mecha’ option in the cosplay program doesn’t seem to work; it ‘freezes’ the main menu but keeps it displayed (though it does allow escaping back to the main menu), and pressing [enter] a second time crashes the program. I hope I explained that clearly enough; it was hard to put into words… Oh, speaking of which, why doesn’t the compiled Windows zip include the cosplay program?
Oops, I must’ve typed that link wrong, and I can’t seem to edit my comment. The actual link to the script is here…
Doh! Stupid pastebin put Windows-style carriage returns at the end of the lines, so people who download it from there may have to use
sed -i "s|"$'\r'"||g" migrate.shto strip the stupid characters off the end of the lines; I know my bash, at least, can’t run it without stripping them out…
Thanks! I’m happy to see GH updating again.
Fantastic! Gearhead is one of my old favorites, so I’m looking very much forward to trying this out. The compiled linux versions (ascii and sdl) both seem to load fine on my 64-bit Debian testing (“stretch”).
GearHead is epic!
Where can i post message about game crushes? I had rescued leader’s girl, then speak to the leader, got exp and money and after dialog ended game has crushed. Where can i send savefile and error message?
You can send it to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amazing to see the game still under development! I still have fond memories of helping to keep the little Gearhead forum community running well. I was overjoyed to see the RPS article on this!
Who knows. I might write something on it myself. 😉
Have a fantastic day!
I’ve been checking out this game after the RPS article and it sounds really amazing, but do you know if there is a way to make the .exe work for 64bit Windows ? It seems that this is the reason why I can’t launch it, and it makes me kinda sad 😀
It should run fine on 64 bit windows; the computer I compiled it on is 64 bit. Did you get any sort of error message? Did you compile it yourself or download the pre-compiled zip? Are you using the SDL or the ASCII version?
If you compiled it yourself, make sure the needed dlls are present.
I’ve used the pre-compiled zip, the SDL version and I got a 0xc000007b error. Apparently, it’s a DirectX thingie, I will try to reinstall it and see what happens.