One problem in GH1 is that there is no rhyme or reason to the mission rewards. The cash prizes and other bonuses don’t strongly correlate with the risks and requirements of the job. As I’ve said before, I was just making things up as I went along.
Here’s what I think should be the new mission standards. The basic mission reward should be either 100% cash plus salvage or 200% cash without salvage. Completing the mission should give 1 point of renown and 100XP. The THREAT and REWARD functions should be used to set the difficulty of the encounter and the cash reward, respectively.
If the mission has special bonuses, the standard reward may be decreased:
- Increase a desirable reputation (Heroism or Lawfulness, usually)
- Special rewards, such as a mecha prize
- Bonus experience or skill experience
- The PC would not normally qualify for the mission but is offered it at a lower pay rate, as in the city defense mission
If the mission has extra requirements, the standard reward may be increased:
- The mission requires a particular skill, reputation, or faction membership
- Personal scale mission (300% base pay? No salvage because no mecha.)
- Increase an undesirable reputation, such as Criminal or Villainous
- Higher than normal difficulty
If I’m going to recalibrate all the mission rewards, this would probably also be a good time to either add the procedural text generator or decide that I’m not going to bother with the procedural text generator.